Aptakisic Junior High School is located next to a creek where ducks regularly hang out. For the last three years, a mamma duck has flown into the atrium of the junior high and laid her eggs. She then incubates the eggs for approximately 28 days. When the ducklings are big enough, Mr. Heffernan, with help from staff and students, escorts mamma duck and her ducklings out the back door and to the creek. It is a fun experience for all to witness! View this year's short video (by Jody Salus.)
Mamma Duck Hatches Ducklings in Aptakisic Atrium for Third Year
Aptakisic Students Helping Others
Social emotional learning (SEL) is the process through which children and adults acquire the knowledge, attitudes, and skills they need to recognize and manage their emotions, demonstrate caring and concern for others, establish positive relationships, make responsible decisions, and handle challenging situations constructively.
This year, Aptakisic's SEL topics include animal welfare, homelessness, food and security, environment, and literacy. Junior high students came to group consensus on which organization to help in each category.
During the last two weeks in April, AJHS students will pack 28,512 meals for Feed My Starving Children; make more than 60 sandwiches per week for the PADS Shelter; support the Safe Haven Shelter; visit and learn about the Waste Management EduCenter and Landfill; and stock the Vernon Township Food Pantry.
Visiting Author Inspires Aptakisic Students
On April 21, Aptakisic students met author and poet Brittany Cavallaro. Ms. Cavallaro read to students from her first published novel, A Study in Charlotte. Media Specialist Barry Love invited this author so students would learn more about how one becomes an accomplished writer. Ms. Cavallaro shared her early love of reading, especially about boarding schools and Sherlock Holmes. Her first book in a trilogy is about a crime-solving duo, who just happens to be the teen descendants of Sherlock Holmes. Read more about Ms. Cavallaro, her books and poetry.
D102 Spring Choral Concert A Huge Hit
Thank you to Choral Directors Renee Kruper (Aptakisic) and Gail Simon (Meridian) for a spectacular Spring Choral Concert with more than 150 students performing. Meridian students sang songs around a "home" theme such as Sweet Home Alabama, Rainbow Connections, and Roar. Aptakisic students sang a variety of songs from various genre including classical, Broadway, renaissance, pop, and jazz pieces in preparation for high school.
AJHS New Assistant Principal
Mrs. Lori Wisnauski will replace our current Assistant Principal Kelly Morales who will return to teaching at Aptakisic. Mrs. Wisnauski has taught sixth grade Language Arts and Social Studies in D102 for the past six years and fifth/sixth grades for nine years prior to that in Cary SD26. She has a Bachelors of Arts from National Louis University; Masters of Arts in School Leadership from Concordia University; K-9 Certification plus an English Learners (EL) endorsement; and will finish her Learning Behavior Specialist I endorsement this summer.
AJHS Scholastic Bowl Team Wins Conference
On April 20, the Aptakisic Scholastic Bowl team won the conference championship hosted by West Oak Middle School. The team advances to Regionals this Wednesday at Plum Grove. Congratulations to team members, from right, Elizabeth M., Govind P., Coach Love, Arjun N., Matthew L., David L., Billy B., Ram S., David W., Akash K., David H., and Coach Falkner.
Daily Announcements - April 28, 2016
- 7TH GRADE STUDENTS: If you were not in CHORUS this year but want to join chorus for next year please see Mrs. Kruper as soon as possible.
- THE HUNGER FUNDRAISING SEL GROUP is STILL collecting cans for the remainder of the week!! Please bring your empty aluminum cans to Mrs. Lewis' office (Room 218)! For every can you bring, you will receive one raffle ticket which will be put in the running for a Starbucks gift card!
- ANY CURRENT 7TH GRADERS looking for a leadership opportunity should consider applying to be a PEER BUDDY!! Mrs. C. Lewis will be selecting a group of students to be matched as buddies with incoming 7th graders (the current 6th graders at Meridian) to help them adjust to Aptakisic when school starts next year. If you are interested, complete the application found in Schoology or email Mrs. Lewis to get the link by May 20th. If you have any questions, stop by room 218 or email Mrs. Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ALL 8TH GRADE STUDENTS: If you have not yet turned in your photos, please do so for the 8th grade montage (kindy pic and current pic). The deadline has been extended to THURSDAY, April 28th. This montage will be posted during the evening of the 8th grade dance. Remember to put your name on the back of the pictures and bring them to the school office in an envelope marked "8th grade picture montage".
- TOMORROW, Thursday begins the ABC COUNTDOWN, sponsored by PALS! Thanks to everyone who voted and had a voice in selecting this year's countdown. April 28th, is A=Animal Day. Wear animal print or animals on your clothing.
- The SEL Animal Welfare-Animal Adoption group is accepting donations to be distributed to local shelters or animal rescues. Items needed include:
blankets and comforters
towels, dog bones, chew bones, treats, balls
cat trees, toys, beds, treats
Sturdy dog and cat combs and brushes, baking soda, and training pads.
Donation boxes are located under the tables in the front foyer of AJHS.
AJHS Springfield Trip - 7th Graders
The dates have been confirmed for September 22 and 23 for the 7th Grade trip to Springfield. More information will be shared at the 7th Grade Incoming Parent Night to be held at Aptakisic Junior High this coming Tuesday, April 26 at 6:30 p.m. Click here for the Springfield flyer and how to reserve your spot for this special trip for incoming 7th graders for the 2016/17 school year!
- 8th Grade Graduation Fast Approaching
- D102 Challenge - Sunday, May 15
- Daily Announcements - April 25, 2016
- Springfield Trip for 7th Graders - Fall 2016
- Tastefully Simple Fundraiser - Have a Party!
- Incoming Seventh Grade Parents Invited to Orientation, April 26
- AJHS Hosts De-Stress Event with Therapy Dogs
- AJHS Illinois Principal Award Winners
- Attendance Reporting
- Teacher Appreciation Week Coming Up!
Page 1 of 6