You're all set to run this year's summer update!
During the update process you will update Microsoft Office, the operating system and a secondary operating system patch update. *remember to connect your computer to a power source!
Dont Forget - If you run into trouble or are hesitant please let either your Building Computer Teacher or Technology Office know and we can assist.
A few caveats:
- The process will take anywhere from 30 min to 1 hour depending on how much data you have so please plan accordingly.
- Running the updates at home rather than at school will work even better
- Make sure your computer successfully completes a sync prior to installing the update.
Before you install the updates...
There are a few details you should be aware of prior to running the updates:
- The latest version of Mac OS X (10.7 Lion) changes the way scrolling works. To change your trackpad back to the old behavior, click here
- Older software (PowerPC software) will not be compatible, this includes some Foreign Language & Music titles. Read more here.
- FirstClass will require updating by clicking here..
- PowerTeacher Gradebook might fail to launch after the updates are installed. If that happens (you might see a message about needing to install Java), click here to download the installer.
How to Run the Summer Updates
- On your desktop you will see a folder like this open it
- Double-click [Install 1st] (this is the update for Microsoft office 2011) *no restart required
- When done, double-click [Install 2nd] (this is the update for the operating System...It takes the longest) Your computer will restart when this update is finished.
- When done, double-click [Install 3rd] ( this is the update to the new operating system) Your computer will restart when done.
- Note: This step must be run at school. From the Apple Menu, choose Software Update. This will check for available updates to other Apple software (things like iPhoto, iMovie, Keynote, etc).